Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fragment #20

#20
Hark and hail, let the bells ring, peel out
A sense of gladness and joy pervades the land
Lookouts have spotted our grand Greek ships
          With good luck they’ll be landing soon

Which will be the one to gain the harbor first
To set its bow on part of black earth of Lesbos
I hope and pray to Poseidon that it will be Phaon’s
          With his sailors coming bravely on shore

Boreas is providing in big blasts of wind
The impetus for these vessels to come upon dry land
And we, maidens fair, await with our woven garlands
          And watch each sail as closer it comes

The freight has them loaded down, they’re lugging along
When will they arrive is on everyone’s mind
I am beyond excitement at the thought of seeing him again
          After many nights and days of being apart

Is that his sail I see coming closer into view with
The symbol of the muse painted on the bow, he did that
For me, even has my lyre, prominently displayed
          My works, my verses, he knows are of him

Hither to this place I implore, to this pleasant dry land
Can I calm the palpitations of my heart
O praise the gods, his ship has landed safely, he debarks
          I rush to meet his lips, to caress his hair





No comments:

Post a Comment