Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fragment #23

#23
I was the object of desire by all Greek men
Auctioned, bartered, long ago with Menelaus when
I became his wife, for when I look at you then
                   Such as Hermione I see

Hermione and to yellowhaired Helen I liken you to
Unfortunate daughter left behind when I fled
Hark, among mortal women, know this I pled
                   I partook from every care

Paris, you could release me from my state of woe
To the far ends of the earth, I would follow, I would go
Till we came upon the dewy banks of the Trojan coast
                   A love to last all night long

Paris was different as he held me by my hips
I was the face who launched a thousand ships
Greek men would rather wage war than kiss enticing lips
                   As they strayed from their wives

I was the heroine of the greatest story ever told
I’ve heard it said after I was created, they threw away the mold
But it was a minor role I played to the feats of men so bold
                   Homer didn’t appreciate my beauty

I think it wasn’t fair the trick they pulled
With that gigantic, wooden horse, not like the story of the bull
They conquered and destroyed the Trojans but one with wool
                   Covered his head and his face

Aeneas escaped the burning city with his father on his back
The courage of Hector ran through his veins, the black
Night enveloped them as they fled from this beastly attack
                   Someday he’d avenge his people’s plight
I was taken back to Sparta by my husband, reunited
With my daughter, Hermione, who during my flight
Had married the son of Achilles but oh, no, what a night
Orestes, my nephew killed her husband

In order to be able to wed her, she had my beauty too
To him she bore Tisamenus who was a warrior true
Of the great Greeks, there remained sadly but a few
He gloriously became the ruler of Mycenae

















No comments:

Post a Comment