Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fragment #94

#94

I simply want to be dead

Weeping she left me, fled
With many tears and said
          Oh, how badly things have turned out for us

Sappho, I swear, against my will

I leave but I love him, yes, still,
His remembrance leaves a chill
          In my being and will remain thus

And I answered her: Rejoice, go

And remember me, for you know

How we cherished you, I bestow
          My blessings on your journey, be glad

Stay, I pleaded but if not, I want
To remind you, from the very font
Of my being, our love will ever haunt
          Me, remind me of the beautiful times we had

I remember you for many crowns of violets
And roses, I have many laments and regrets
Carved in the wind are our silhouettes
          When you were at my side you put on the wreath of love

We will recall me and many woven garlands
Made of flowers and delicate filigreed bands
As we sang and danced on the shore’s golden sands
          As you put them around your soft throat and sang thereof

My memories live on and with sweet oils
And costly herbs grown in Greek soils
You anointed yourself, your glorious strands in coils
          These fragrances flow through my reveries

You came to me and on a soft bed
All my fears and frustrations had fled
Performed love-making as if we were wed
          You would let loose your longing and desire

And neither any of the sacred shrines nor any
In this holy place nor oracles nor horns of plenty
Was there from which we were absent and many
          Revelations, auguries, visions of sacred fire

The seers can’t foresee, this tragedy befallen on thine
No grove of almonds, no dance among the pine,
A song with no sound, no grapes upon the vine,
            Bare the trees, time does freeze, what gods to appease
















No comments:

Post a Comment