Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fragment #22

#22
Gather all around, my lovely maidens fair
My work is to write of glorious love, do I dare 
I face this task in the sun’s glimmer and glare
Beware of a love, so pure and rare

The springtime is bringing forth her blossoms from afar
Beckoning, if not, winter can’t tarnish nor mar
There’ll be no pain or anguish, bliss and happiness are
                   For them, peace, not a far off war

Virgins, I bid you sing of what you desire
Sing of Gongyla, Abanthis, taking up with their Sire
Take your lyre as now again longing, love will never tire  
A blaze floats around you, fire

We will enhance you, beauty, for her dress when you saw it
Sheer, diaphanous—the groom it stirred you, and I rejoice, permit
Me to say in fact she herself once blamed me, the robe loosely fit
                   Kyprogeneia, love’s fierce flames were already lit

This epithalamium because I prayed to you, great goddess
And you gave me this word , and my poem it shall possess
Finest lyrics ever writ, the word I shan’t repress but shall confess
                   The word is want, I want, I yearn, I crave to possess







No comments:

Post a Comment